Nov 15, 2009

beauty in the eye of the beholder


There aren't too many occasions on which my breath is taken away.
Only in circumstances when my heart and soul is moved beyond a threshold unquantifiable or indescribable. My heart and soul is likely to be moved by things I find beautiful. These "things" are often not material objects. I can look up at the sky, and wholly adore the pink streaks of cloud off in the horizon, or the thin stream of sunlight peaking through the grey swirl of clouds. I don't need a photo to justify what I feel. It's the sense of awe (in a calming way), to feel the nature's beauty.

When I went to see The Nightingale and other Short Fables, presented by the Canadian Opera Company at the Four Seasons Centre, I was utterly beguiled by the beautiful voices. I enjoy opera, but not all opera. Some I find too shrill or too forceful. In The Nightingale, the voices were sublime. The beautiful voices mixed with the stunning set design made me want to weep. Again, a moment that couldn't be captured by a photo (literally, photos weren't allowed anyway).

What prompted me to write this entry is a song from Peter Jackson's 2005 King Kong Soundtrack, with music composed by James Newton Howard. The song, Beautiful, captures the essence of the relationship between King Kong and Ann. Every time I watch the movie, I shed tears...many tears. Although seemingly unrealistic, a giant "beast", carries a tough exterior but a soft, fuzzy, and sometimes vulnerable personality. Ann brought out the best in King Kong, but also the worst. The line said by Jack Black in the end, "No, the beauty killed the beast", is probably one of my favourite movie quotes. The soundtrack composed by James Newton Howard goes so well with the movie. Every time I hear Beautiful, my eyes well up, and I lose my breath.

I live for moments like this. I hope artists find reactions such as mine rewarding. Be it music, paintings, structures, words...I am moved.

1 comment:

Lulu said...

well written entry!

Small moments in life are the most precious. Sometimes we have to slow down to appreciate all those small instances

Post a Comment