Le jazz
Jazz tunes wholly fill me up. I love all the different emotions coursing through my body when I'm in a jazz trance. From the slow ballad-like tunes to the upbeat Latin jazz or big band, I always feel so good afterwards. The music evokes certain words to my head, and I wonder if the composer thought of the same words. The pieces with lyrics exude real human experiences, usually love, be it forlorn or content.
Me
I've been feeling a little disconnected from myself. It took a lunch hour big band concert at Nathan Phillips to make me realize that. On my way home from work, I stopped by the stage again, and a great Latin jazz performance brought members of the crowd (mostly older) to their feet. Slightly swaying and toe-tapping, I felt like myself again.
Weekend
I felt restless all weekend (thanks to the G20). I couldn't read my book at my neighbourhood Starbucks (I wish it wasn't a chain). I wasn't able to roam freely around the city without seeing destruction, riot police, and the smell the vinegar. The events of this weekend made me very frustrated. I understand the right to peacefully protest and our freedom of speech in our democratic society. It is a privilege. The acts of vandalism is not a privilege, and it's unfortunate the perpetrators were not brought to justice. I'm just disappointed that the protests and all the arrests took up most of the media space.
Me again
My writing is a bit choppy today. I still haven't recovered from this writer's block. Working in an office really stifles one's creativity. The vocabulary I come across are often planning jargon - designation, provisions, compliance, flood plain, setbacks, permitted uses, etc. I feel as though I'm in this bubble, which is why the lunch hour and after work jazz sessions brought me back to life. Though I'm not writing as fluidly as I would like, I'm learning to write in bits and pieces, from one thought to the next. Maybe I'm expecting too much from myself. Sometimes, the words just have to flow naturally, and often with a caffeinated drink. I'm hoping for some breezy, sunny weather so I can bring myself to a bench under a tree at UT and read and collect my thoughts alone.

1 comment:
Working in an office makes me crazy. I need more hippie-freedom in my life! Which also means I'll never make a lot of money.
C'est la vie! Glad you enjoyed the yoga in Dundas Square! =D Even though the crazy dancing wasn't really a yoga asana that I'm accustomed to! Hahaha, but the yoga in that was everybody's energy connecting with one another =D
Post a Comment