Nov 14, 2011

an education


At times I feel like my life is at a standstill. I still find it strange that I am at home, and doing graduate school. Undergrad felt like a natural (or shall we say expected) choice but grad school was not expected and in a way, I feel inadequate to live up to the standards I set in my mind.

I keep going. Education is safe. The realities are talked about, debated, and critiqued. However well that prepares me for practice, I shall not know until I am there. So many times, people refer to the working life as "life in the real world" or "reality". Why should there be a gap between so-called reality and education? Why do we distance ourselves in a cocoon away from "reality"?

I find myself asking more and more questions. Perhaps less so about what is "reality", but questions about my choices, my morals and ethics, and my values. A lot of the times, it's about self-confidence and whether or not I can muster up the courage to do what I ought to do, or do what I want to do.

There just seems to be too much knowledge in this world. My life has been sheltered and I have been well-fed. I don't want to perceive myself to be atop of a pedestal and looking down at the world.

I may be incoherent or incapable of flow at this hour. I do know one thing, I will always value education. Education can be in so many forms. It should be accessible and not necessarily formal. I find myself thinking about what I should have been taught in elementary or high school instead of realizing such simple connections to subjects such as biology, chemistry, and social studies 10 years later. Maybe I should be a teacher.

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.
- Nelson Mandela

1 comment:

Max Liu said...

=) I think we all go through the same thought crisis or ruminations once in a while! Add oil Rosa! -max

Post a Comment