I grew up with rain, lots of rain. My relationship with rain however, has been in the gutters (pun intended) ever since I've moved to Ontario. I've left rain for snow and more sunshine. You know you're a Vancouverite when your winter attire consists of Columbia/GoreTex/MEC rain gear, and you go through at least three umbrellas every year.
Here in Southern Ontario, after a long weekend of beautiful weather, the rain has come to clean the air and the streets. As I walked towards Starbucks (where I sit now) a half hour ago, the after smell of freshness brought a calmness to me. I actually love being caught in the rain. The spontaneity of the summer/fall thunderstorms of Ontario, or the lack of preparedness on my part, leaves me soggy like cereal left in the milk too long. My thoughts upon the first fat raindrops on my head are negative. "Oh, how could I be so stupid and unlucky?!" As my soggy appearance materializes, I begin to accept my fate. I face the sky and open my mouth as if I were catching snowflakes. At this point, my mascara may be smudged, my hair stringy. I continue walking until I reach my destination, and continue on with my life.
In life, I get caught in the rain all the time. One can never really anticipate obstacles. I've learned to accept the rain, and walk on despite my appearance. You will eventually dry off, and start again.
Yes, these are my random ramblings on a Wednesday morning. I fill my head with these obvious metaphors from time to time. It's the only way to clear my head! I just need some self-vindication of how I feel and my decisions. I will enjoy the rain this week.


1 comment:
This one was a good one.
Post a Comment