Jul 4, 2010

simple life


There is so much beauty in simplicity. Too often our lives are entangled in planning details and thinking about the future. Too often our lives are governed by logic and self-interest. I had the opportunity to reflect about the wonders of nature. The harmony of all this diversity is beyond incredible. The shape of a lion's snout, a simple yellow flower regarded as a "weed", the playful and nurturing character of a gorilla, a grassy field with a lone yet grand maple. I'm taken back to my days spent in Owen Sound. It was really a simple life. I was very much like the lone maple amidst a field of strangers. I was alone, inexperienced, and naive. I've been through a lot to get to where I am today, and I think that affords me the desire for simpler days.

After being in the City for a while now, I've been stuck with the mindset that the City, with all its conveniences and diverting aspects, is my preferred location. Now I think I've been prejudiced by the work I do. It's important to live and work by one's principles but I'm afraid I've been blinded by the flashing lights, glitz and glamour. Needless to say, working hard to attain one's goals is regarded as necessary by societal standards, and I believe in hard work and commitment. Although I feel quite certain of the path I wish to take, I can't help but wonder what could be. I'm at these crossroads again.

Strange how much a simple yellow flower or a lone maple tree can make me wonder. It was truly enriching to feel connected to nature again. A spark of hope has restored my confidence and feelings in myself.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I've been feeling like this a lot lately too. The city is such an easy place to live, but sometimes it can get to be too much.
Lovely photo at the top up there.

Post a Comment